An unordered set of facts about me:
- When I was much younger, I played Pokemon cards at a nationally competitive level
- My first “machine learning” project was coding a genetic algorithm (but back then I just knew it as “stochastic optimization”)
- I spent a good chunk of a winter taking care of an off-the-grid cabin in Alaska along with its 10 resident reindeer
- I’ve been long-distance trail running for over a decade and competed in Strongman competitions while in grad school
- As you might be able to tell from the above two bullet points I could make a list of 50 points all about various outdoors/exercise things so I’ll cut myself off here and say that moving around and being in nature are both high priorities in my day-to-day life.
- My name isn’t short for anything and doesn’t have any special meaning. I sometimes can get the email address bram@<domain.url> which is awesome.
- Settlers of Catan (and variants) is my favorite board game because of the combination of strategy, negotiation, and randomness.