For questions regarding travel and activities during the Academy, check travel and program FAQ page.
Can I save my progress and come back to the application later?
- Yes, you can move forward and backward within the online application. Once you begin an application, you can save it provided you are using the same computer.
- Remember to press SUBMIT on your application to ensure it is recorded.
- If your application remains incomplete for two (2) weeks after last activity, it will be recorded in our system. If you still wish to apply, you will need to begin a new application. Incomplete applications are not reviewed.
- We highly recommend reviewing the preview application for the essay prompt and other information you will need ready to enter.
For math and science course history section, do I note courses complete, in progress or planned?
- Select the course if completed previously or in progress during current school year. If you plan to take a course in the future, you can note it in the essay or “other” section in course history. Example: AP Calculus AB (senior year)
I have taken the new SAT, which scores do I report?
- Report your section scores for Math and Evidence-Based Reading and Writing on the 200-800 point scale. You do not need to report your individual test scores for Math, Writing & Language, and Reading on the 40 point scale.
I have not taken a college entrance exam such as the PSAT, SAT or ACT. Can I still apply?
- Yes, the exams are not required.
I attend a school where my grades are on a different grading scale (other than a point system).
- Please submit an official translated version of your transcript along with official documentation that explains your school’s grading scale in relation to that of a 4.0/5.0 grading scale. The grades should be translated by a school official.
How many participants are admitted to the Academy?
- We admit up to 50 students per summer cohort.
- We have a wait-list from which we invite students to participate in the event an admitted student withdraws or declines our offer.
- We notify all applicants of their status (admitted, wait-listed, etc.) in the initial notification by May 1st.
Applying After the Deadline
I was not able to submit my application by the deadline. Can I still submit it?
- All applications and supporting documents must be submitted online by the application deadline.
Can I still apply for financial assistance after the deadline?
- No, financial assistance applications must be submitted by March 2.
- Scholarship awards are included in the acceptance email so that participants and their families may make an informed decision whether to participate.
Application Status & Notification
I have submitted all my application materials. When will I receive a confirmation email with my status?
- We strive to notify applicants within five (5) business days if their applications are complete. If you believe all your materials have been submitted, but have not heard from us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (607) 255-6403. Please be aware that close to the deadline we are managing a large volume of applications. Thus, we highly recommend submitting early!
When will I find out whether or not I was accepted into the Academy?
- Decisions will be released by May 1st via email
Can you tell me why I was not admitted to the program? I’d like to improve my chances in the future.
- Unfortunately, due to high volume we cannot give feedback to individual applicants. We receive over 400 applications from highly competitive students and cannot accommodate all interested students. Some general tips for improving are: Write a strong essay. Pay close attention to the questions and make sure to answer them. Be authentic about your interests. If unsure about your interest in engineering, acknowledge this within your essay.
Do I have to be a US Citizen or permanent resident to apply to the Academy?
- No, we accept applications from all students in eligible grades and with a 3.0 or higher grade point average.
Applying to Cornell University
Does participation in the CURIE Academy impact my Cornell application?
- The CURIE Academy is not a feeder program for admissions to Cornell University. Thus, participation in the program does not impact admissions. However, we hope CURIE alumnae will apply to Cornell. Additionally. Some CURIE alumnae apply and are admitted to the university.