CU LSAMP REU is a summer research opportunity that provides undergraduate participants with the opportunity to work with distinguished faculty and staff as well as network with others in their field of interest through weekly luncheons.
Undergraduate students interested in gaining a deeper understanding in an engineering-related field have the opportunity to conduct and present research over a nine-week duration under the auspices of a Cornell Engineering faculty research mentor. Through this one-on-one partnership, participants will gain theoretical knowledge and practical training in academic research and scientific experimentation. CU LSAMP REU was developed to aid in the retention of traditionally underrepresented students in STEM fields.
LSAMP REU Benefits
CU LSAMP REU offers participants:
- Approximately 9 weeks of research (June 7- August 7, 2020)
- A research stipend of $4,000
- A round-trip travel stipend up to $300 for students living outside of Ithaca, NY
- A double room in a residential hall
- A campus bus pass or campus parking pass
- Access to state-of-the-art laboratories, libraries, computer/study lounges, etc.
Further, CU LSAMP REU participants have the opportunity to:
- Develop a meaningful research agenda and conduct research with a faculty research mentor
- Present a scientific research talk
- Design a research poster and discuss their poster presentation of their research at a symposium on campus
- Submit a written report at the end of the summer research activity that may lead to a publication
Interested students are highly encouraged to view the Frequently Asked Questions to gain more insight about the program.
Intellectual Curiosity— demonstrating a genuine interest in expanding academic knowledge in one’s field of study as well as keeping abreast of current scholarship .
Self-motivation & Communication— exhibiting the ability to work independently, initiate, inquire and contribute to the research project.
Responsibility— honoring time commitments and research obligations. Being accountable and reliable for one’s contribution of the research project.
Research Ethics— it is crucial that participants familiarize themselves with the ethical conventions in their fields and act accordingly. Participants must commit themselves to this process in an ethical and moral manner.